is one of the newest and most hard hitting players in the social media world. Below we have listed some statistics to get you excited about the platform and why vacation rental owners should be taking advantage of our “Pin-it to win it” contest we just launched.
- Pinterest is now the 3rd most popular social network (Experian)since it took the internet by storm in February 2012 when it reached 10.4 million users (AppData).
- Despite it not yet getting as much traffic as Facebook or Twitter, Pinterest is retaining and engaging users as much as 2-3 times as efficiently as Twitter was at a similar time in their history (RJMetrics).
- Daily Pinterest users have increased by more than 145% since the beginning of 2012. (Mashable)
- As of January 2012, American users spent an average of 97.8 minutes on Pinterest. (eMarketer)
- Over 1/5 of Facebook-connected users are on Pinterest daily (which represents more than 2 million members). (AppData)
Pretty impressive right? Now here is how you, as a vacation home owner can take advantage. Pinterest is all about simply sharing nice photos, or pinning, as it’s known on the site. By creating separate boards based on category, location etc. users organize their pins onto designated boards that can be found when users search for specific topics.
In this case we will use travel as the category. When the any user types in “travel” in the search bar, they are presented with any pin that has been labeled with “travel” or “#travel” (hashtags seem to work interchangeably on Pinterests platform). You can adjust your results to focus on specific boards that are labeled as travel, or people with travel in their name.
Travel is obviously a popular search term, as are specific vacation destinations, exotic countries and home decoration on Pinterest. Therefore, just by adding these words to a pin of your property, you can be thrown into this mix of users that are searching for their dream getaway. Not only do they just see the picture of your beautiful vacation home, but when they click it they are taken directly to your page. Pinterest acts as a bookmarklet for users so they can come back and find these places again.
This is where we got the idea for our “Pin it to win it perfect getaway” campaign. As homeowners, you simply need to pin your property once with the hashtags #Travel and #PerfectGetaway. By doing so, we have set up the traveler side of the contest to push your pins even further by having them pin your properties with similar hashtags and by creating boards that will keep them in their history forever (as long as they don’t delete them, but who would get rid of such beautiful places?).
With each post, comes a tweet with similar hashtags that are being searched for constantly. More so, they will be shared on travelers facebook pages, expanding the reach of your property infinitely (or at least to as many friends each user has; it adds up!). These are just some basics of utilizing Pinterest as a very simple way to reach more travelers. Stay tuned for more posts about similar ways to utilize Twitter, Facebook and more!